Tuesday, March 22, 2011

I am an editor

I am an editor, not a designer. 

I think I have always known this though. Let me explain. To me, an editor decides between two items. Or they take what is given to them and makes suggestions of likes and dislikes. That is an editor; someone making bigger decisions about things that have already been decided. A designer is creating from nothing. They are using their imagination and creativity to create something new. This is NOT me. I knew this but it became a screaming reality during a meeting with the flower lady. Poor, poor flower lady.

Our meeting had just started but I could already feel the tears building up. Why you may ask? Your guess is as good as mine. I just want things to be perfect. And I know every bride says that and I know it all will be, but getting to that point can be difficult. So for some reason as soon as I had to narrow down the colors of the flowers, I fall apart. Why you may ask? Your guess is as good as mine. The pressure to pick the everything is immense. SO we recovered from that crisis and moved on. Things are going swimmingly, until...mason jars or glass milk bottles. I have both and want to use both, but which do I want on the tables?? And melt down number 2 occurs. Why you may ask? Your guess is as good as mine. Good heavens why am I so emotional?! 

ALL that to say, I am an editor. Give me two options I can tell you which looks better. Give me a paper, I can find your mistakes. Give me two designs, I will tell you which is better. 

But do NOT  ask me to choose flower colors. Or ask me what to put a flower arrangement in. I do not and will not claim to be an expert in that area. Ever.  

Update: I did apologize to the flower lady for crying over nothing. And we have met again since then and no tears were shed. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment