Thursday, August 6, 2009

All About Grad School

So finally, here it the post about all the odds and ends of my graduate school experience thus far...
I graduated in May with my degree in public relations and didn't really know what I wanted to do after that. I knew the job market is terrible right now and just thought I needed a little something more. I didn't really want to leave Shreveport, since I just moved into a townhouse and such. LSUS offers a Master's of Science in Human Services Administration. This sounded perfect! The end goal would be to do public relations work with a non-profit. So 3 weeks after undergrad graduation, I started my graduate degree.

This degree is 100% on-line. I have never met face-to-face with anyone in the class or even the teachers for that matter! And I even had to do "group" work in one class! I took 3 classes this summer and each class was set up in a different way.

One class had the 8 weeks broken up into 4, 2 week sections with a paper due at the end of each section. There were group discussion posts as well as class discussion boards.

Another class had a different topic out of the book each week that we would write on and every other week a paper would be due.

And the last class was actually an undergrad class but it helped me get used to on-line classes and the non-profit finance world. For this class we read chapters and had quizzes and/or questions and spreadsheets due.

The key to these classes is to just stay organized and on top of things. As long as you have everything turned in by the due day, it is very simple to keep ahead. And the great thing is if you turn it in early, you don't have to worry about it for the rest of the week!

I can't wait for the fall semester to see how that schedule works.

Oh, and did I mention I earned a 4.0 :)

No comments:

Post a Comment