Monday, April 5, 2010

One cast too many...

I finally got to go fishing last Friday. It was Good Friday and Dad and myself both had the day off. I slept late (9:30) and woke to a text from Dad. He was fishing on Cross Lake and would pick me up at the dock if I wanted! What a great text to wake up to! So I grabbed my brand new purple fishing pole (that Chris had bought me), stopped at Circle K for essential snacks and made my way to the lake. I got there and Dad picked me up and we took off to a spot on the lake. This was my first time using this pole, so I was a little nervous; one- because I like to get everything right, on the first try and two- because I didn't want to get a big ole tangle and have to have Dad spend all his fishing time untangling my fishing line. But I did well almost the whole time. Dad did comment that I was doing well though. But he knew when he heard "oops" or "uh oh" what had happened. He would say "Uh oh, where?" and motor over to my latest catch (usually a large tree). All good fishermen lose a bait every now and then (right?). So it was getting into the afternoon and we were thinking it was time to call it a day. The fish just weren't biting; Dad had caught one though. But Dad said he was going to start cleaning up the boat to go back in. Well, I had just cast once more... oops, straight into a tree/bush/log thing. So we muddle over there to get me unhooked. Well I had really done a number this time so there was no unhooking from this log. Dad decided that bait wasn't expensive anyway and we could just break the line. I had handed over the pretty purple rod and reel to dad to unhook me. He gave a good tug and...
Oops!! He snapped that pretty purple fishing pole right in half! I yelled "DAAAAAD!" But all we could really do is laugh. He said Chris had just bought me a cheap pole. Ha ha. It was a good, Good Friday though, for everyone but my fishing pole.

No comments:

Post a Comment